Hugh Archer Memorial Scholarship
Two $4,500 Awards
Two scholarships, each valued at $4,500, are awarded to exceptional graduating students from public or private high schools in the Dearborn School District or attending the DPS Early College, Career Technical Education Programs or Virtual High School. Recipients are selected based on academic achievement, leadership, community service, and adherence to the ethical standards of the Rotary 4-Way Test. These scholarships support the students’ enrollment at an accredited college or university.
Hugh M. Archer
June 22, 1916 – July 15, 2005
Rotary International President 1989-1990 General Secretary, Rotary International Rotary International Director 1975-1977 District Governor, D640 1969-1970
Past President, Dearborn Rotary Club
Hugh M. Archer will always have a special place in our memories as one of our own District 6400 Rotarians who went on to be a great leader of Rotary International and who enjoyed Rotary to the fullest.
Hugh served as President of Rotary International in 1989-1990 and served as its General Secretary. A Rotarian since 1951, he was a member and past president of the Rotary Club of Dearborn, Michigan. Hugh served Rotary International as a District Governor of D-640 in 1969-1970 and was a director in 1975-1977.
Hugh was chairman of Spiratex Company, a plastics extrusion company. He was chairman or director of several financial firms. He served his Country in the U.S. Navy during World War II in Europe. Hugh was a registered professional engineer who received his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. In his community, Hugh was active with the YMCA, Boy Scouts of America, and the Dearborn Schools. He also served as a Director of Henry Ford Hospital.
Hugh Archer was a husband and father, an inventor, businessman, executive, scientist, ham radio operator, engineer, sportsman, attorney, researcher, community leader, Rotarian, banker, humanitarian, inspirational leader. Hugh is survived by his three daughters, June, Ruth, and Lucy.
The scholarship recipient shall be a high school senior attending a public or private high school, Early College, or Career Technical Education program within the Dearborn School District boundaries.
Selection will be based on:
- Academic achievement (Class standing, GPA, SAT, ACT, and Advanced Placement Courses)
- Leadership in class and extra-curricular activities
- Service experience at school and throughout the community
- Honors and Awards
- Exemplification of the Rotary Four-Way Test:
Is it the TRUTH?
Is it FAIR to all concerned?
Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
- Applicant will pull application off the Dearborn Rotary website (www.dearbornrotary.org), prepare the application, and mail the application with other requested documents to: Dearborn Rotary | Hugh Archer Scholarship
P.O. Box 2347
Dearborn, MI 48123
- The Chair of the Hugh Archer Scholarship committee and two other appointed Rotarians act as the judging panel.
- The winner will be notified by mail and e-mail; other applicants will be notified by e-mail only.
- The winners must download and submit the “Scholarship Funds Request Form” found on the www.dearbornrotary.org website under the “Scholarships” tab. Application specifies deadline for submitting form.
- The winner will be invited to attend an evening Rotary Celebration Event in April/May to receive appropriate recognition.
- Applications must be postmarked on or before February 5, 2024.
- Application and enclosed documents will NOT be returned.
Click Here to download the Archer Scholarship Application